Saturday, March 2, 2013

Disney Princess Half Marathon - The Aftermath

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!  So true.

After the race, I changed my clothes and hobbled around Epcot for the rest of the day. My favorite part of the moments after the race was changing into my flip flops!!

My legs were very sore and very tight after I finished.  It was mostly my knees and ankles which I attribute to 6 weeks without running on pavement.  None of my muscles that usually hurt were sore after the race.

Even my knee which had been bothering my for the entire race - the one that I stopped and put Biofreeze on at EVERY medical tent - didn't hurt.

I did have a weird blister on my fourth toe on my left foot.  I think my sock got caught between my toes, which was a new running injury.  I also had a heat rash on the tops of my feet.

When I woke up the next morning to get on the plane to come home, I was a little sore, but not as bad as I expected to be.  

I am not sure that I will run a Disney race again.  It was a great first half marathon!  I loved the whole experience (after I left the Expo!)  At Disney, every mile really is magical!!

But, the race was crowded...really crowded.  It was also expensive....really expensive.  

I am glad that I did it.  Running at Disney motivated me to somehow transform into a runner.  I have three (maybe 4) more half marathons on my running calendar for 2013.  I don't think that I would be able to say that without the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  

So, what now??

First, I rest.

Then, I run the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach, VA.

Next, I run the Nike Women's Half in Washington, DC.

After that, I run the Run for Dream Half Marathon in Williamsburg, VA.

My goal for 2013 is to run at least one race a month.  I am still looking for summer races, but they will come.

I need to figure out what is going on with my IT band.  I have come to love running, especially long distance running.  I like the solitude of it.  I like having that time for myself.  I am actually looking forward to being able to get up at 6:00 in the morning to go for a run before the rest of my family wakes up.  

Thanks for taking this journey with me!  It was hard sometimes and it was fun sometimes. 

I am probably going to keep blogging about my running adventures.  Once I decide what to write about, I'll let you know.

 Distance runners.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking over to my blog!! :) Keep documenting! It's amazing to look back on where you have come from and where you are going. I'll be a reader! :)

    ReplyDelete