Sunday, January 27, 2013

25 Days Until the Princess Half Marathon

RunnerGirl

I woke up this morning and felt like I needed to go for a long run.  I've been nursing a tight IT band and trying to rest it so I will be able to run a half marathon in 4 weeks.  There were only (only....) 3 miles on the schedule today.  My plan was to run a quick and easy 5K.   But, plans change.....

Today was MRTT Winter Runnerland Day!!  I met about 20 girls for a group run.  Some were running 5K, some were running 10K, and a couple were running a half marathon.  (I got the medal for the half marathon because of last week's run, but I ran today just because it was a group run.)   I talked to some girls who were going to be running slow like me.  But, they were going to run 10K.  What's another 3 miles?  I decided to join them.  (Small aside - I wasn't prepared for a 10K.  I didn't have any fuel and I didn't have any water.   I wouldn't need it for 5K so I didn't bring it.  Luckily I had a bottle of water in the car.  I had just finished a pretty big lunch, so I just hoped that it would be all of the fuel that I needed to get through.)

We got started.  We ran up the road to the start of a trail.  The trail was paved for about a mile and then it went to real trail.  We had some snow the other day.  Most of it had melted, but there was still some icy and slushy spots along the way.  The girls I started with were a little slow for me.  (Yep, you read that right....I was faster than someone.)  They ran at my walking pace....which was great while I was walking, but not so great while I was running.  So I just did my thing.  I was feeling good.  I woke up and wanted to run long, so I did.  

Today's run was not without its trials and tribulations.  There was ice.  I was slow.  My fantastic brunch decided to remind me that it was probably not the best choice before a run right about at mile 4 1/2.  It was hard to breathe sometimes.  I must have been leaning forward because my arms and chest got sore trying to keep myself upright.  

BUT!  I ran 6 miles today.

I'm getting slower.  I'm not sure what is causing it.  Maybe the Garmin is just keeping my honest and I have always been this slow.  The slow started when the leg got tight.  I'm not sure.  It's frustrating.

In other news, when we met at the running store, one of the workers overheard me talking about my tight IT band and how the doctor told me to take some Motrin and put some ice on it.  She asked if she could show me something.  Of course I agreed.  She got down on the floor and pressed in my leg.  It HURT.  She confirmed the tight IT band and asked me if I was rolling it.  When I said I was, she asked if I was rolling it at the hip or the knee.  She tsked me when I said at the knee.  She recommended rolling from the hip and tapping my foot while I was doing it.  The tapping can stop when the pain goes away.  She also recommended an Epsom salt bath.  10 minutes in the coldest water I can stand followed by 15 minutes or so in a regular warm (or hot....these runs have been chilling me to the bone) bath.  I haven't been able to try out the bath, but her rolling idea helped.  It hurts like the dickens when I am rolling it, but it makes it feel better.

After the run, we all met back at a pub for food and wine and raffles and fun.  I will definitely run for some wine!!  It was a great evening and I am glad that I got to share it with the MRTT girls!!

Let's review a couple of things....just in case you missed it.
1)  I think we may have cracked the code on the IT band thing.  Motrin and ice are just not going to cut it.
2)  I ran a 10K today.  Except for the IT band thing, NOTHING ELSE hurts.  Remember the day after the Wicked 10K?  I couldn't walk after that.  Every part of my body hurt.  Today I ran 10K and I am walking just fine.  It's not getting easier, but I am getting better.

Today's Stats:
6.2 miles (Yep, I was only going to run 3.1) in 1:28:53 (14:21 minute mile)
Fastest mile:  Mile 3 (13:43)
Slowest mile:  Mile 5 (15:20)
Fastest pace:  9:30

No comments:

Post a Comment