Saturday, February 9, 2013

12 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon


You are probably wondering where I have been.  I didn't think we all needed to read about my runs on the elliptical.  It's not that exciting.  I have been keeping up with my training, it has just been on the elliptical because of the IT band issues.

Today was my first "real" run in two weeks.  It was my first race since the IT band started giving me trouble. Today was the Virginia is For Lovers 14K.  (How far is 14K, you ask?  Well, it's 8.68 miles.)  I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to finish or that I would have to walk all or most of it because of my leg.  I wasn't quite sure what would happen when I tried to run.

Yesterday we went to the expo.  It was pretty small compared to some of the other J&A Expos.  BUT, the very first booth after packet pick up was a chiropractor who was taping (using KT Tape) for free.  I asked him if I could use KT tape for my IT band and he asked me to roll up my pants.  I crossed my left leg over my right and he taped me up with some festive red tape.  He told me that I could leave it on for 5 days to help with recovery and wished me luck on the race.

When I got to the Virginia Beach Field House (a new venue for me) for the race this morning, I made my way inside to meet up with my MRTT ladies.  We were supposed to meet outside, but it was COLD this morning....and WINDY....and cold.  We ended up taking our pictures inside and heading out at the last minute to get into our corrals.

Don't let the weather keep you from getting your sweat on!  @espnW
It was a cold and windy wait for the first two corrals to start.  Once the gun went off for corral three, I started running.  It didn't hurt.  As usual, the beginning of the race was really congested so it was hard to start my intervals, so I ran.  In fact, I ran pretty fast.  I ran the first two miles and only slowed down for the water stop.  It wasn't a terribly exciting two miles - we ran through a soccer complex and up a road.  There were some jokes to get us through this pretty boring stretch.  (What did the boy lightbulb say to the girl lightbulb?    I love you watts and watts.)  But, mile 2 took us through the Farm Bureau Live - Virginia Beach amphitheater.  We left the amphitheater to the 5K split clock.  I looked at the clock and looked at my watch to see I had the fastest 5K time ever!  Too bad I can't use it as a 5K PR!!   After the split,  it was back to roads and soccer complexes.  There was a row of cheesy pick up lines between miles 4 and 5.  (Hello, my name is Mr. Right.  I heard you were looking for me.)  On the way back through the very first soccer complex, we came across a candy stop.  Just and FYI, trying to eat M&Ms in 36 degree temperatures is not an easy feat.  Chocolate is hard to eat while you are running.  Just after the candy stop, J&A Racing had set up Lovers Lane.  People could buy signs for their runners.  My dear, sweet husband bought one for me.  Nothing like seeing a sign at mile 7 that says "You're doing great, Mommy" and the names of my three little men to get me through the next two-ish miles.  The last two miles were around and through a parking lot to get us to the back of the Field House for an inside finish.  It was a red carpet finish complete with red wicking hats (which I totally could have used at the BEGINNING of the race.....my bright yellow hat didn't match my outfit, so my ears were cold), carnations for the female finishers from firefighters, and a wine glass that we got yesterday.  The best part of the finish was the tomato and cheese soup in a bread bowl from the Baker's Crust.  It really is my favorite soup.  I couldn't find any of my people, so I found a spot on the floor and made a new friend.

All in all, it was a great race.  My legs got tired and sore near the end and I slowed down a lot, but I was still faster in those "slow" miles than I have been in weeks.  Bring it on Disney.  I am ready for you!!

Today's Stats:
8.68 miles (14K....but the Garmin said 8.62 miles) in 1:47:49 (12:24 minute mile)
1995/2355 overall finishers
205/250 in my age group
1176/1465 female finishers

From the Garmin:
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary1:47:49.88.6212:31
110:38.01.0010:38
210:57.41.0010:57
312:01.01.0012:01
412:31.31.0012:31
512:40.11.0012:40
613:08.91.0013:09
713:43.01.0013:43
813:53.11.0013:53
98:17.10.6213:20
And, all I could think of for the first 2 miles....until I warmed up was this:
Winter can't last forever!

In 2 weeks, I will be in Florida and it will be warm!!!  My next long run will be in short sleeves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment