Saturday, February 2, 2013

19 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

so what's it gonna be boy?

I know I have put the work in.  I know I have done all of the running that I need to do to get across the finish line.   I know that resting for a few weeks isn't going to erase all of that work.  I know that rest is what is best right now.  (Well, rest and stretching and rolling and Motrin and ice.) 

But, I am still frustrated.  I have been working for almost 7 months to get here.  I ran when it was hot.  I ran when I was tired.  I ran before the sun.  I ran when it was cold.  I ran when it was raining for goodness sake.  And now, after hundreds of miles and even more hours - with 19 days to go - I can't run.  I am afraid to run.  Even more, I am afraid that I am not going to be able to run when I need to.  It makes me angry.

But, I am determined to keep training.  I can't run.  Okay - I am trying to accept that.  I can get on the elliptical machine.  That is my plan for the next 19 days (and then 3 weeks and then 5 weeks if this doesn't start to feel better.)  I will get my miles in on the elliptical.  I can go to Zumba classes.  I might even join the old folks for water aerobics.  When I have a Saturday free, I am going to try out a Beginner's Yoga class.  

One of my Navy/Bunco/random associations friends talked to me about IT Band Syndrome.  She had it.  Hers flared up at mile 10 of a Disney half marathon.  She couldn't walk up and downs stairs so easily for a long time.  She told me that ice and Motrin will help mask the symptoms, but they won't fix the problem.   She gave me some suggestions.  Basically, I probably didn't cross train enough.  There are also some muscle groups that are probably week.  In order to keep the IT band from getting inflamed, I have to cross train and get stronger.  For the next 19 days, I am going to do that like it is my job.  I am not going to turn into the Hulk in the next 19 days, but hopefully I will get strong enough that I can run 13.1 miles and then walk the next day.

On other news, I bought a Yoga for Runners book.  I think that I look pretty ridiculous when I am running.....but I guarantee that I look even more ridiculous trying to do yoga.

Today's Stats:
3.1 miles 35:04 (11.3 minute mile)   So, the elliptical makes me fast.   Yes, please.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through Elbowglitter's runDisney links and have enjoyed reading about your training for the Princess half.

    I wanted to comment to first say Good Luck! on the race, and then to second the suggestion of cross training to help your IT Band Syndrome. If it's the same kind of problem I had, my physio guy told me my legs and butt were weak and my IT band was tight so it was pulling my kneecap out of place.

    ReplyDelete