Saturday, July 28, 2012

208 Days Left

I really wanted to stay in bed this morning.  I woke up at 5:30.am.in.the.morning before the alarm even went off.  I looked at the clock and asked myself if I REALLY wanted to get up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning on a day when we have a pretty full schedule.  So, I closed my eyes again and considered going back to sleep.  I really tried to go back to sleep.  And then, I got up, got dressed, and got going.  I didn't even wear a cute outfit today.  I wore cotton capris and a race t-shirt.  I put on my shoes and went on my way. 

Today was long run day.  Keep in mind that I am not even on the training schedule yet, so my "long" run was 3.2 miles.  This is the longest distance that I have ever run.  In my life.  I tried to psyche myself into the long run.  I tried this run a few days ago, but I upped my intervals that day and, quite honestly, petered out coming down the hill on the way home and didn't have the juice to go up another hill, so I cut it short and patted myself on the back for upping the interval.  No excuses today.  I had to do it.  So, to convince myself that once I started down the hill, I was in the home stretch, I did the "hard" stuff first.  I went around my neighborhood and up the hill I usually walk.  Then I went out into the "real world" and went into the other neighborhoods on the way UP so when I got to the stoplight at the top of the big hill, I could just turn around and skedaddle on home.  This tactic seemed to work unless I was actually attacking one of the aforementioned hills.  Then I hated it and wanted to go back home and get in bed.  I mean, who wakes up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning to run for no good reason?

When I wasn't whining to myself on my little jaunt, I noticed some things.  It was quiet and peaceful this morning.  The sun was just coming up.  There weren't many cars going by and there weren't any people out and about.  I came across bunnies and birds.  I had my music in my ears, but it was calming.  I spent my cool down walking my poor, neglected dog.  I have missed quiet walks since we usually walk with the husband and three kids.  It was a beautiful morning and I am glad (yep, that says glad) that I got up and went.  Now it's done and I can sleep in tomorrow.  Plus, if I had slept in, I would have missed seeing the SUV pulling a trailer with a cannon on the back.  How often will I see something that that???

Today's Stats:
3.2 miles in 41.02 (12.8 minute mile)
*NOTE:  See that number up there????  It is below a 13 minute mile.  I have NEVER run faster than a 13 minute mile.  Today's run was the furthest I have ever gone and the fastest that I have ever run.  Today, I feel like a rock star!

3 comments:

  1. Great job, and kudos to you for getting up so early on a weekend and running the fastest and farthest you ever have! That's excellent! Sounds like you're starting to get to the phase where you are enjoying running,maybe not before or during yet, but you can definitely appreciate it after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! It's so exciting to see your own improvement, and as long as you're consistent, you will just keep getting faster and faster! And good for you for pulling yourself out of bed to run...it WILL pay off in the end!

    I'm registered for the Princess Half Marathon for the first time, too, and could not be more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Jessica! Imagine the day you wake up for an easy 3 or 5 or 8. It sounds crazy, but it does happen. I love seeing the progress. Thanks for writing it all down.

    ReplyDelete