Tuesday, July 17, 2012

219 Days Left

A terrible thing happened when I started out for my run this morning.  It was horrible.  I almost went back inside.  I pressed the button on my iPod.....and nothing happened.  Thinking that I had obviously made some sort of mistake, I pressed the button again.  And then I pressed a different button.  Finally, I looked at the screen.  It was black.  I had forgotton to charge it...it was dead.  I had 30 minutes of my own thoughts to endure.  Amazingly, I didn't really have any thoughts (besides a few things that I noticed...but I'll get to those later).  I really just ran.  I really thought I would hate it, but I didn't.  I don't think that I am willing to give up the tunes cold turkey, but I might run one of the shorter runs every week without the iPod.  The quiet was kind of nice.

I did have a few fleeting observations since I was running without the music:

1- It was SO humid this morning.  For a moment when I walked out of the door, I thought I was in Virginia.  It was humidity that smacked you in the face.  I chose not to dwell on it, because I knew that it would send me right back into the house.

2 - The music hides my huffing and puffing.  I am not a graceful, quiet runner.  I seriously sound like I am dying 30 seconds into the first 90 second run.  I appreciate the music for hiding this from me for all this time.  I feel sorry for anyone who has had to listen to that.

3 - I thought it was a pretty decent run.....and then I looked at the watch.  If I had gone any slower, I would have been running backward.

4 - There were some times today duing my little 2 mile course that I thought that there is no way on this earth that I will be able to do this for 13 miles.  But, I kept going, so I guess that's good.

Today's stats:
2.1 miles in 30 minutes
14.2 minute mile

No comments:

Post a Comment