Thursday, August 30, 2012

175 Days Left


Run, Run, Run

I swear that running makes me stupid....and forgetful.  The plan for today was to go to a water aerobics class with my mom in the morning and then she would come watch the monkeys while I went for a run this afternoon. Of course, nothing in my life seems to go according to plans these days.  I got into a phone call 20 minutes before the water aerobics class was supposed to start.  Nobody was dressed and I didn't have anything put together to take the boys to the pool afterwards.  It quickly became obvious that there would be no water aerobics on the schedule today.  So, I decided to get everyone in the car and just do an inside run today.  It check the run box and still put us in the position to get to the pool.

I got everything ready - pool stuff, after pool clothes, and run stuff - and put it on my kitchen counter so I could stuff the pool bag.  I got everyone into the car and off we went.  We got to the gym and I realized that I didn't have any socks.  I had left them on the counter.  I searched through my mom's pool bag and couldn't find her pair of socks.  (They were in a side pocket...I didn't look there.)

A lesser woman would have thrown in the towel.  Me, I put my feet into my shoes and decided to give it a go.  Because of the sock situation, I only ran 2 miles.  (There's that word again....ONLY).  It wasn't bad on my feet, but I wouldn't have wanted to go much farther.

I had forgotten about the treadmill.  That is one unforgiving piece of equipment.  I must run pretty slow out on the street.  Back in my younger days (like 2 years ago), I ran on the treadmill every.single.day.  I would walk at 4mph and run between 5 and 5.5mph.  I couldn't keep those paces today.  I ran at 5.0 for half of the running intervals, but I couldn't recover during the minute walking interval, so I slowed it down to about 4.8.  I prefer running outside.  I will be glad when my husband gets home and I don't have to rely on my parents or the gym babysitting to get my runs in.  I miss the early morning quiet.

Today's stats:
2 miles in 27.03 (13.5 minute mile)
...and that's better than nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,
    You are a trooper. I stand in awe of your ability to get your runs in, no matter what. You are an inspiration. On the days I just don't want to, I will look to you to get myself out the door. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete