Sunday, August 19, 2012

186 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

My post is a day late.  I did my run yesterday.  It was 4 miles.  I have NEVER in my life run more than 3-ish miles.EVER.  I was terrified of yesterday's run.  4 miles seemed so far.  I did my run at the beach.  (I'm glad that I didn't wait.  We ended up leaving the beach a day early so we could get some of our boxes unpacked before my husband had to go back to Rhode Island for a couple of weeks to finish his classes.)  I went two miles north on the beach road and then turned around and ran back to the cottage.  I ran past two restaurants that we always go to.  I ran past the place that we were going to drive back to for breakfast.  I ran to the mini golf course that we always play.  Getting there was easy.  Then I had to turn around.  I had to get myself back home.  Amazingly, the two miles home weren't terrible.  (They weren't easy, but they weren't terrible.)  My legs got tired around 3 1/2 miles.  There was a little, tiny incline - like a driveway, not a hill - and I cursed it.  I wondered how I am going to get up an overpass or 3) at mile 11 of the half marathon when I could barely get up a driveway at mile 3 1/2.  But, I kept going.  I finished.  I gave myself a pat on the back.  Then I got my last shower underneath the cottage and packed up to go home.  A 4 mile run was a great way to end vacation.


Today's stats:
4 miles in 48.56 (12.14 minute mile)

I got home to unpack boxes only to have my knee swell up and start to hurt again.  It hurt to bend and it hurt to go up and down the stairs.  I iced it for a bit after I got my kitchen put together.  When I woke up this morning, the swelling was gone and the pain was gone.  After another day of boxes, it started to ache a little, but nothing like yesterday.  As soon as things calm down, I am going to the running store to get new shoes.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let them talk you into stability and motion control shoes. You may not need them. Check out the more minimalist running shoes. Newtons are good, but expensive. I have the Saucony Kinvara. "Born to Run" is a great book, but you could also Google "pose" or "chi" running. Since I switched, I have not had knee and hip pain like I used to. Great job running on vacation again :)

    ReplyDelete