Tuesday, August 28, 2012

177 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

Go For A Run

Holy summer, Batman!  Today, I was THAT runner.  You know, the runner that is out when it is eight bazillion degrees.  The one that you are looking at saying, she's either serious or just plain crazy.  Since I am actually training for a big race, I guess I am serious.  Since said race is a half marathon, I am only half crazy.  

My mom came to watch the circus for me while I went for my run.  She really wanted me to wait until after dinner to go.  She said that it would cool off.  At 4:45pm when I went out, it was 88 degrees with 70%  relative humidity.  For those of us who need those numbers brought into perspective...it was freaking hot.  It was the kind of hot where you start sweating as soon as you step out of the door.  It was the kind of hot where you are really, really thankful for your air conditioning.  (Now, I promised myself that I would not complain about being hot after wearing a coat well into June in Rhode Island, but I made that promise before I had to run in a Virginia summer.  It was hot.)   And, my mom was right.  It did cool down a little after dinner.  It's only 79 degrees now.  But there is a monster thunderstorm rumbling out there and I am neither serious enough nor crazy enough to run in a thunderstorm unless I am running to cover because thunder and lightning scare me.  

Even though it was surface of the sun hot, I felt good.  My walking intervals were only extended twice - once when cars were whizzing by me and I didn't hear my watch beep and once when I had to stop and wait for the light at the main road to change so I could safely cross the street.  As it was rush hour and near the end of my run, I walked across the street as not so scare the poor, unsuspecting commuters just trying to get home.  My mom made me take may water bottle, so I used some of the water to splash on my face a few times.  It helped.  I got honked at once by a car I didn't recognize and I saw my friend's mom drive past.  I don't think she recognized me....most people aren't used to seeing me out running.

Today's stats:
2.82 miles in 37.32 (13.2 minute mile)
This is a little faster!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment