Thursday, January 24, 2013

28 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
My leg has been bothering me.  I have had 2 runs where I couldn't really run.  I tried to run yesterday and it hurt.   This has me worried, so I called a doctor.  The doctor could see me yesterday. 
 
Yesterday was also the only day this week that I have free.  The kids were off on Monday for MLK Day and they are off on Friday for a teacher workday.  Yesterday, everyone was at school.  I had 3 hours to myself.  I was afraid that the doctor would ground me from running, so I did the most logical thing I could think of......I got on the treadmill.
 
I tried to run.  It hurt.  So, I walked.   I walked 3 miles on the treadmill.  I couldn't run, but I got my miles in.  I set the treadmill to 4.0mph (a 15 minute mile) and I got going.  That was FAST....walking at 4.0 mph is not an easy task.  There were a couple of times when I slowed the treadmill down just so I could reset and keep up, but I put it back.....every time.
 
I finished 3.2 miles in 50 minutes today.  That is a 15.6 minute mile.   Now I know that even if I can't run at the race, I can walk it fast enough.
 
So then I went to the doctor.  I got an X-ray and then he came in.  He said that I have a thin layer of cartilage on my knees.  It's not terrible, but it's definitely on the thin side.  He gave me some ideas of how to strengthen and protect the cartilage that is there.  He gave me some ideas to cross train for the next few weeks to still keep up my cardio, but take the pressure off my knees.   But, the bottom line is that I have the beginning of IT Band Syndrome.  I didn't do anything wrong to cause it.....it just happens sometimes.  He told me to ice after every single run.  He told me to take Motrin before and after runs.  He told me to rest when I can.  Then he told me good luck at the race and call back if I need to. 
 
Here's hoping modern medicine is right.  I have come too far to be hurt now.
 
Today's Stats:
3.2 miles in 50 minutes (15.6 minute mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment