Monday, January 21, 2013

31 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
 
Something is wrong.  I went out for what I hoped would be a 3 mile run on this beautiful winter day.  It was 50 degrees when I set out for my run today.  My legs weren't sore after the long run this weekend and I was looking forward to getting in a few miles today. 
 
I started out and my knee felt funny.  It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel right.  I finished my warm up and started my first running interval.  As soon as I took the first step, it felt like sandpaper was rubbing on the side of my knee.  It went away after a minute or so.  After the next walking interval, the sandpaper feeling came back.  It took a little longer to go away.  When I got back to my house after the first lap (3/4 mile), I switched directions.  It didn't help.  By the middle of the second lap, every step in the running interval was sore and walking wasn't much better.  The feeling (it's not PAIN...to me, pain HURTS.  This doesn't hurt.  It irritates me.) didn't change my stride, but it didn't go away either.  I made the executive decision to stop.
 
This started two week ago.  I felt fine after my 12 mile run.  I didn't feel it until the first run after the long run.  I rested more than usual last week.  I stretched and I rolled it with the massage stick.  I didn't have any problems with that part of my leg during the 13 mile run this past weekend.  When my muscles were sore on Sunday, my knee didn't hurt.  I started feeling it again today. 
 
So, I am going to take it easy this week.  I might try a mile a day instead of longer runs spread out.  I am going to stretch and roll.  I am going to make this go away.
 
In other news, today was my first run with my new shoes.  It felt like I was running in sand.  They better hurry up and break in. 
 
Today's stats:
1.57 miles in 22 minutes (14 minute mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment