Tuesday, January 1, 2013

51 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
This morning, I got up and started 2013 with the Hair of the Dog 5K.  The website said to wear your New Year's garb - from formals to pajamas.  Since we are boring and have three little ones at home, my New Year's Eve was spent in my pajamas.  I fed the monkeys, gave all most of the instructions to the babysitter, and headed down to the Oceanfront for the run....in my pajamas.  Just FYI - Pajamas are not appropriate clothing for running.....let alone running in today's weather.
 
The drive to the beach was very much like the drive for the Neptune Festival 8K.  It was raining.  the closer I got to the beach, the harder it rained.  The biggest difference was that it was warm in September when I was faced with running the the rain.  Today it was about 48 degrees and raining.  I didn't have a coat and I wasn't wearing fabric that would support running in the rain.  You see, the last forecast I saw before I went to bed said that rain would move in "later in the day."  That obviously means 8:30am.  I seriously considered stopping at the Target that I drove past to pick up some appropriate running clothes for the weather.  I decided to suck it up and just go with it.  I also put my race t-shirt underneath my pajama shirt for a little extra cotton-y warmth and because I didn't want to walk back to my car in the rain. 
 


Pinned Image
 
After I checked in a got my shirt and my bib, I met up with my Moms Run This Town friend, Kris.  We stood under an awning to wait for the race to start.  She is faster than me, so once the gun went off, she took off with a promise to meet me at the end.  I did see her run past me after the halfway point turn. 
 
Luckily, the rain slowed down a bit and I warmed up once we started.  We had some moments of drizzle, but all in all, it wasn't a terrible day for a run.  My new Bondi Band hat kept my ears warm and my head dry and my new Handana kept one of my hands warm and gave me something to wipe my nose with when it decided to start running.
 
The run today was easy and work, all at the same time.  It was easy because all of a sudden it was the halfway point and we were turning around and heading back to the start.  It was work because I decided to race a lady that was next to me.  (She may or may not have known that I was not going to let her cross the finish line before me.)  We started the race together. (Her family met her 4 times on the race course.  It was really cute.  Mine was at home with the babysitter.  No family love for me!)  The problem was that she would pass me during my walking intervals.  I would get back in front during the running intervals, but then the watch would beep and she would get in front again.  That irritated me, so I was determined to beat her.  So, I ran hard during the running intervals and walked as fast as I could during the walking intervals.
 
I had hoped to cross the finish line in under 36 minutes.  I didn't do it.  I won the race with the lady, but I was 30 seconds over my goal.  I crossed the finish line in 36:26 according to the official results (36:30 according to the Garmin.)  I was 263 out of 434 runners and 134 out of 235 women.  My age grade was 39.51%.  (I'm not sure what that means.  I do know that I finished 14 out of 24 runners in my age group.  I ran an 11:45 minute mile.
 
Now for the MOST exciting part!!!  The race had an extra category.  They called it the Heavy Kevy's Weight Challenge.  67 women gave their weight for the challenge.  I finished 19 overall in seconds per pound!  (That's the closest I will EVER get to the top of the leader board, so I will take it!!)  Top 20 baby!!
 
I saw a status on Facebook that said yesterday I said that I would be running a half marathon next year.  Today I can say I am running a half marathon in 2 months.  What a difference a day makes!!  (Not only that, but I am running 3 half marathons this spring and maybe another in June and another in October....I'll keep you posted.)
 
Today's Stats:
3.1 miles in 36:26 (11:45 minute mile)
 
Well on my way to a race a month!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment