Thursday, December 27, 2012

56 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

Pinned Image
 
 
Christmas is over.   Santa was very good to me this year.  I got a Bondi Band Princess hat, a medal holder, an awesome "Race You to the Castle" shirt, a Team Sparkle skirt, some new running clothes, a Handana, some Gu and a Garmin. 
 
I was SO excited to try out the Garmin on my run today.  I got dressed in my cold weather gear (complete with the hat so my ears wouldn't get cold.)  I have to use the Garmin and my Timex because the Garmin doesn't do intervals, so I looked like an 80s dancer or a Zumba instructor with all of the junk going up my arm.  Either way, I used the Garmin to track time and distance and the Timex to track intervals.
 
THE GARMIN LIES.
 
After the first lap, I noticed that the Garmin was tracking a shorter route than I had thought I was running....by a tenth of a mile.  It was also showing me that I was pretty slow.  That was pretty frustrating.  I have not been going as far as I had thought and, obviously, I haven't really been getting faster.   I hate the Garmin.  I came home and told my husband that I was going to flush the stupid, lying thing down the toilet.  He just laughed at me.  Obviously, I am not going to do that.  I am going to use the information and get better (and hopefully faster.)
 
When I finally got a minute to upload the data, there were some interesting things.  First, there is a map of my actual route.  It looked like spaghetti on the plate.  I was all over the road.  Was I running drunk?  It shows that I totally cut through the court instead of running all the way around.  I didn't do that.  I ran all the way around every time.  Second, it tracked my average pace, my best pace, and my moving pace.  There was a moment during my run that I was running a 9.16 minute mile.  Who knew that I had it in me?   Obviously I can't sustain that, but it's in there somewhere.  Finally, it tracked my calories burned.  The treadmill lies to me.  I sort of believe the Garmin.  I wore the heart rate monitor today, so that makes it a little more accurate.
 
All in all, not a bad run.  I'm going to have to get used to the new technology, but I hope the accurate distances will remind me to keep going.
 
Today's Stats (from the Garmin):
2.41 miles (NOT 2.58 miles) on 31:31 (13.06 minute mile)


No comments:

Post a Comment