Tuesday, December 11, 2012

72 Days Left

.

It's Tuesday.  The schedule says to run.  I came up with a million and one excuses today.  Some were pretty much in my head and some were legitimate.  I promised myself that I would just run tomorrow.

I woke up this morning feeling icky.  I can't even define what icky means....I just felt icky.  So, instead of putting on my running clothes, I stayed in my pjs.  I didn't even walk my kiddos to the bus.  My husband did it.  It didn't get dressed until it was time to take the baby to the Little Gym at 10:00.  I put on my race shirt from the 10 miler this weekend.  It made me think about running.  It made me play hard with the baby at the Little Gym.

We had an altercation with the substitute bus driver today when the big boys came home from school.  The altercation was that she wouldn't let one of the boys off the bus.  They were the only 2 kids left on the bus at the last stop.  One of the boys had lost his id card.  Even though I had mine...with his name on it, which she could have opened his backpack to confirm, she made him sit down and took him back to school.  I went into mama bear mode.  Once I got my baby back and then went and made a fuss at the school system transportation office, it took me a good hour to calm down.  All I could think about was running it out.

But...we had a project to finish first.  In preparation for Christmas, hubby and I started cleaning the big boys' room YESTERDAY.   We had to finish today.  It took 3 more hours today (on top of 3 yesterday.  Who knew that when we told those stinkers to clean, they just threw everything into the nearest bucket or under the bed?  We had to separate Legos from Lincoln Logs and Star Wars from Spiderman.  They are lucky that we didn't take all of the toys out.)  After that was dinner.

Because I am waiting patiently with no patience whatsoever to find out if I got into the Nike Women's Marathon in Washington DC, I have been all over e-mail and Facebook like a stalker for two straight days.  During one of the Facebook checks, a Princess from one of the Facebook groups asked who would be joining her (virtually of course) for an evening run.  Like a moron, I told her that I would.  Then my chicken ranch tacos started to settle in my tummy and my run didn't seem like a good idea, but, there's always tomorrow.  I tucked my sugarplums all snug in their beds and came upstairs to check email and Facebook like a stalker again do some work on the computer.  I was ready to get back into my pjs and call it a night. 

Tomorrow you will wish you had started today - Nike

The stupid treadmill started staring at me.  I remembered that I ran my mouth on Facebook and said that I was running tonight.  So, I sucked it up.  I went and put on my big girl running clothes and I got on the treadmill.  I didn't have my watch and I didn't have my iPod.  I found a Mickey Miles Podcast on itunes and got going.

Before we get to the particulars of the run, let just say that there will be no more podcasting during running.  I need my tunes.  I need a beat and I need lyrics.  People talking makes me watch the numbers on the treadmill slowly tick by.  

Back to the run....amazingly, I felt good.  I started my walk at 4.0.  Anything slower just felt....slow.  So, I went with it.  After a quarter mile warm up, I was ready to run.  Since I didn't have my watch, I was forced to use the clock on the treadmill.  I hit the treadmill up to 6.0 (which, as you will soon see was not the best idea I have had in my life) and got to running.  Without my watch to beep at 2:45 and because I was running at a gazelle-like 6.0 (I am a 5.2-5.5 kind of girl, usually), I dropped my intervals to 2:1.  I could keep the 6.0  running/4.0 walking pace for 20 minutes.  Then I hit the wall.  I mean, crash test dummy style. I was sweating and out of breath.  I had a cramp and those tacos I mentioned were threatening an encore.  So, I slowed it down to a more manageable 5.5.  However, the damage was done.  I couldn't recover during the walking breaks.  I was dying for water.   I made it 2 miles.  I went another half mile to cool down a little bit.

I didn't get my 5K in.  But, I ran.  I did it.  I didn't die and I didn't puke.  I had sweat dripping off of me like it was summer again.  It was a rough 2.5 miles.  I hated it today.   It was hard.  But, it calmed me down.  I don't feel as icky.  I'm still checking my email like it's my job.....running can't cure everything.

And I don't have to run tomorrow because I ran today.  Thursday had better take notice.   We have a date.

Today's Stats:
2.5 miles in 32:34 (12.9 minute mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment