Tuesday, December 18, 2012

65 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
The dreams are starting again.  It's been a while since I had a dream about the race.  Last night, the dream was WEIRD.  I got to the starting line and started when the gun went off.  Then I got tired and went back to sleep.  (In my bed, not sure how I got back there.)  But, then my alarm went off at 6:00 and I was in a panic because the race started at 5:30 and I was late.  So some random girl that I don't know in real life, but who was my friend in my dream, offered to take me to the start.  I told her that I had started the race already, but she could drop me off at mile 5 or so.  She did and I just jumped right in to the race that was already in progress.  I got to the finish line faster than all of my running friends (all of whom were in my dream.  I cheered them all across the finish line.)  Even though I was a big fat cheater in dreamland, I told everyone not to worry.  I wasn't running for time because of the crazy start.  It's going to be a long 65 days if the dream stick with me until race day.   I guess my letter to Santa would ask to start every race that I finish.
 
Maybe the crazy dream stems from the crazy running week I have.   I almost ran 12 miles today, but I hadn't mentally prepared or physically prepared with fuel and hydration.  So, I ran my short run today and I am going to run my long run on Thursday....when my husband is home and awake, which will not be the case at any point during the weekend.
 
My body might be starting to believe in this distance running thing.  Maybe I should ask Santa to help me love the runs.....all of the runs.  I am starting to dread the short runs.  They seem like an irritation in the schedule.  I look forward to the long runs.  I plan for them and, even though they scare me half to death every other week, I have been enjoying them.  My body is fighting me on the short runs.  My legs scream at me - every part of my leg hurts at some point during the short runs.   My breathing isn't right.  The music on my iPod isn't what I want to listen to.  Then, at about 2 - 2.5 miles into the run (right about the time to stop if it's the really short run), it starts to get easier.  My body parts start to work together.  It's almost like my legs stop throwing a tantrum and give in to the fact that we are really doing this running thing.  Then the run is over.  I fought my body for the entire thing.
 
Today's run was supposed to be just under 3.5 miles.  My legs and I were having a battle of wills, but I was making decent time.  Then, in the second lap around the neighborhood, one of my neighbors was out.   He and his wife JUST had a baby (like last night was their first night at home).  They are a Navy family without a huge family support system in the area.  I started asking how everything was and offered to bring a meal and before I knew what was happening, my watch had beeped through 1 walking interval and 1 running interval.  I sort of lost steam after that.  Then, as I was coming up the street, the boys were getting off the bus and started running toward me.  The baby ran to me and wanted to be picked up.  I really lost steam after that.  It was getting close to lunch time, so I cut my run short.  Instead of 4 laps (which I am trying to make the norm), I did my usual 3.
 
Maybe tonight I will dream of running a whole race....with speed and ease.  Maybe I will dream of snuggling with my children.  Maybe visions of sugar plums will dance in my head.  Either way, hopefully Santa grants my wish to run faster.  It would be a Christmas miracle.
 
Today's Stats:
2.58 miles in 34.36 (watch time.....spent 3.45 talking to the neighbor)
- 13.3 minute miles if you don't subtract for the stop
 
2.58 miles in 30.91 (actual running time - adjusted for the chatting)
- 11.9 minute miles
 

No comments:

Post a Comment