Thursday, December 20, 2012

63 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
 
Dear Jillian, I love you.  I think you are an amazing trainer.  I love that you are no nonsense.  I love that you yell at people on TV, but then take the time to talk to them and find out what is really going on.  I would love to have a training session with you.  But, for once, you are wrong.  Sometimes your legs just give out, even when you want to go forward.
 
The plan had 11 miles on it today.  I was prepared to run 12.  I had my pre-run breakfast and had all of my stuff ready to go.  My head was in the game.  I knew what I needed to do and I was ready to do it.  In fact, once I got started, I even toyed with the thought of running 13.1 today.....just to see if I could.  The run started nice and slow.  It was a beautiful day to run.  I was excited to be out there.  Everything felt great....and then, all of a sudden, it didn't.
 
Today I logged my first DNF.   I ran until I was tired, and then ran some more.  I ran until it hurt and then I ran harder.  My entire running board on Pinterest flashed through my head.  There was nothing that I could do to keep the legs going.  They just stopped.  I had only gone about 6 miles when they started to feel heavy.  At 7.5 miles, every step was hard.  At 8 miles, I felt like I was running so slow that I was going backwards.  At 8.5 miles, I felt like I was taking 5 steps during my 1 minute walking interval.  The last half mile was the longest, hardest half mile I can remember.  As much as I wanted to keep going and finish my 12 miles, my legs thought otherwise.
 
So, I stopped.  I didn't run 2 more laps at the park.  I walked to my car and drove home.  I'm irritated that I didn't finish, but I really don't think I could have done it.  But, then I remembered this:
Pinned Image
 
I ran 9 miles today.  In 2 weeks, I will try 12 again.  In 2 weeks, I will finish.  My training is a little ahead of the suggested plan because of the Wicked 10K and then the Surf-n-Santa 10 miler.  I have some time built in for a bad week.....but I'm still cranky that I couldn't finish.
 
Today's Stats:
9 miles in 1:59:36 (13.2 minute miles)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment