Saturday, December 1, 2012

82 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

Pinned Image
Today was race day.  It was a small race.  Our church has hosted this race for 3 years now as a fundraiser for Young Life Youth Ministries.  There was no medal.  I am never in my life going to be fast enough for a prize.  It was just a training run.  I didn't think that I was even going to run it, but I decided last week to just do it.  It helped that my little people asked to do the 1 mile fun run at the same time.  So, at 7:45 this morning, all 5 of us piled into the car and headed to church for the 8:30 start.  I wore my black long sleeved shirt and my black running pants.  I had a super cute Christmas tiara and a Santa skirt that I found at a discount store that I never go to.  It was $10 and in the underwear section.  It has a bra with it that I am going to wear next week.  I thought it was a bit much for a race at church.
 
There was no packet pick up prior to race morning.  The race organizers did a good job of getting people their bibs and their shirts in time for the start.  We got there later than I would have liked to, but it all worked out in the end.  Since we were running in 2 different races, I had to check in twice.  The timing company donated their services, so all of the bibs were recycled from old races.  I had a recycled bib from this year's Wicked 10K, which I ran.  The boys and my husband had recycled bibs from last year's Surfin' Santa 10 Miler (which I am running next weekend.)  They were so excited to get to pin on their bibs.  (I was not so excited to pin the bib onto the shirt while it was on my body.  It was probably crooked.  I am glad there was no mirror.)
 
Since it was a pretty small race, there was no corral start.  The 5k runners lined up and the gun went off.  The faster runners were at the front of the pack.  I was closer to the back of the pack.  Either way, it took me 6 seconds to cross the starting line.  5 minutes later, the 1 mile started.  (Thank you to my husband for taking the boys on the 1 mile run.  Jeffrey is STILL wearing his race bib and his jingle bell "medal."  It was the highlight of his day to be in a REAL running race.)
 
I started the race just like I usually do - I ran.  Typically, I run until the crowds thin out and I can walk without getting in some one's way.  There weren't any crowds at this small race.  So, I ran.  After I had been running for about 6 minutes, I realized that I hadn't stopped to walk.  So, I told myself that I would take a minute walk break at the 1 mile marker.  So, I ran to the 1 mile marker and stopped to walk.  Then I ran again.  I told myself that I would run too the 2 mile marker.  That plan was derailed by the water stop.  I didn't carry my water for a 5K, so I took a cup of water at the stop.  (That's what it's there for.)  The race was on residential streets and there was one water stop with one trash can set up at some one's house.  This was not the place to throw your cup on the ground.  I stopped for a bit and drank my water, threw my cup in the trash, and then kept running to the 2 mile marker.  I probably lost 20-30 seconds, but those nice ladies didn't have to pick up my trash.
 
During the second mile, I started to get tired.  I also felt like I was slowing down a little.  (But, I was still running.)  When I passed the 2 mile marker, I set my watch to start my intervals.  I think that was a good decision.  I was able to pick up the pace a little on the running intervals and get to the finish line still feeling pretty good.
 
I had set a time goal for this race.  I wanted to finish in 36 minutes.  It would be my fastest race pace ever and my fastest 5K ever.  I knew that my pace was pretty good.  I felt myself slow down, but the first mile was fast enough to make up for that.  As I came around the corner to the finish line, I saw that the race clock was pretty much in sync with my watch.  I crossed the finish line and saw the 4 most beautiful faces waiting for me.  I also saw the clock and knew that
 
Pinned Image
My watch said 36.15 and the official clock time said 36.13.  I did it!!  According to the official results, I finished #119 out of 150 runners.  My pace was 11:41 minutes per mile.  I was 6th in my age group (there were only 9 of us) and the 49th woman (out of 73) to cross the finish line. 
 
No time to rest on my awesomeness.  I have a 10 mile (yep, that says mile) race next Saturday. 
 
Today's Stats:
3.1 miles in 36.13  (11:41 minutes per mile!)
Mile 1 - 10.51
Mile 2 - 12.15 (this was the water stop mile)
Mile 3 - 11.55
.1 - 1.09

No comments:

Post a Comment