Friday, November 30, 2012

83 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
 
I was excited for today's run.  I try to schedule a rest day before race days, but my husband offered to go to the trail with me and ride his bike while I did my run.  I decided to take him up on his offer and have some quality time together and run at the same time.  Great plan.
 
Too bad my body didn't hear about the plan.  Every single step was work today.  We went to the lake park - my new favorite running spot.  We walked to the start and got going.  I thought the run started out okay.  It wasn't an easy, feeling great start, but it wasn't terrible.  It took me 2 minutes and 30 seconds to get to the first 1/4 mile marker.  I walked for my minute and then got past the 1/2 mile marker during the next running interval.  This went on for about a mile.  Right about the 1 mile marker, then my legs felt heavy and my breathing wasn't right.  I had only gone a mile but I felt like I did after I ran 10 last week...and I still had 2 miles to go. 
 
So, I slowed down a little bit.  A 2:30 1/4 mile equates to about a 10 minute mile.  That's too fast for me.  I started too fast and paid for it.  I am not ready for a 10 minute mile.  Maybe one day, but not this day.  It felt better after that.  I don't think that I could have gone much further, but I finished my 3 miles.
 
My husband, however, also missed the part in the plan that we were going to spend quality time together.  My pace was obviously too slow for him and he took off.  He passed me about a mile and a quarter and then again at about two miles.  He got 3 laps (4.5 miles) to my 2 and went out of the back of the park to explore a tunnel under the interstate.  Our quality time was not so quality and I think that I will leave him home next time. But, I am glad that he came out.
 
Hopefully today's rough training run will mean that tomorrow's 5K race will be awesome.  I am still hoping for a 36 minute 5K.  My fastest 5K ever was 37.01 and that was 2 years ago, before I got pregnant with the baby.  I will need to average 11.6 minute miles to do it.
 
Today's Stats:
3.1 miles in 37.31 (12.0 minute miles)
 
Lap 1 - 18.02  (11.6 minute miles)
Lap 2 - 19.28  (12.4 minute miles)


No comments:

Post a Comment