Monday, November 5, 2012

108 Days Left

 
Pinned Image

 
First of all, in 8 more days, that post title is going to say 100 days left.  100 days.  Where did the time go?  How is this race so close?  Am I going to actually be ready to run 13.1 miles?  Am I going to be ready to do it AGAIN 3 weeks after I do it the first time?  Running people are a crazy bunch and I think that I am turning into one of them.  I had a CRAZY thought this weekend....like certifiably crazy.  My long run for this weekend is supposed to be 8 miles.  That's about an hour and 45 minutes of running all by myself.  There is also a half marathon in Norfolk this weekend.  I had the thought to register for the half, run my 8 miles, and then walk the last 5.  It gets my 8 miles done and it shows my brain that I can, in fact, move forward for 13.1 consecutive miles.  I have 3 more days to decide before online registration closes and prices go up.
 
Anyway, I missed my long run this weekend.  It was only 3 miles, so I am not that terribly concerned about how that plays into my training schedule, but life got in the way this weekend.  I found a million excuses not to go.  Saturday morning I just wanted to sleep.  I wanted to sleep until the kiddos woke up.  The thought of waking up early on Saturday made me cranky, so I slept.  Then one of the kiddos wanted to go to church to help pack food for Stop Hunger Now.  How do you say no to that?  You just can't tell a child that mommy has to run, so you can't be a good person today.  So, we packed food.  Then we had to go to the commissary - like there was NO milk or bread or eggs or fresh produce or junk food in our house.  There was only prep food - the stuff you have to put together to make a meal.  Sunday wasn't much better.  I was dressed to run, but the kids wanted to snuggle after they woke up and then we had church and then we had a temper tantrum and then I had to bake.  So, no run for me this weekend. 
 
Today, there were no more excuses.  It was time to run again.  Progress doesn't happen when you sit around thinking about running.  Progress happens when you actually get out there an run.  Here was the problem today - it was a bit nippy this morning.  I am working out my cold weather running gear.  Today I wore my running capris and my long sleeved running shirt with the finger holes.  (That also happens to be the only long sleeved running shirt that I have, so that decision was pretty easy.)  I was a little shivery at the bus stop, but then I got moving.  I got to comfortable, never roasty toasty, never sweaty....just comfy.  It took 2 laps of my neighborhood to get comfortable, but I got there.
 
The new running intervals have made me a little faster.  I did my second run in a row of sub-12 minute miles.  To fast people, that is nothing to get excited about.  To me, it's been 4 months in the making and I am going to be excited about it now and frustrated about it if I slow down again.
 
Still thinking about the half this weekend.  I think entering a half marathon at this point in my training is full on crazy, but you never know what you can do until you try. 
 
Today's Stats:
2.58 miles in 30:46 (11.8 minute miles!!!!)

1 comment: