Saturday, November 24, 2012

89 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

Pinned Image
 
 
There are two types of runners - fast runners and slow runners.  Today, I was the crock pot of running.  I ran long and I ran slow.  It felt fantastic! 
 
Even though I ran an AWESOME 10K on Thursday, this weekend had 9.5 miles on the schedule.  I am running a 10 mile race in 2 weeks, so I couldn't count the 10K as my long run.  I couldn't find a 9.5 mile run that started at my front door that was safe and easy.  There were too many turns.  I was worried that since I got lost on a 4 mile run with 4 turns, I would never be able to remember the turns on a longer run.  So, I decided to go back to the lake park.  It made me a little nervous to go running at the park at 7:00 on a Saturday morning, so I waited until after lunch to go.  The park path is a 1.5 mile loop with an unmeasured bit between measured posts.  Map My Run says that the loop is 1.55 miles all the way around. 
 
It was a little chilly today, but not downright cold, so I wore knee-length pants, a long sleeved shirt, and a short sleeved shirt over it.  I have been running out of water on runs over about 5 - 6 miles, so I took a second water bottle to make sure that I had enough.  I ate my Gu Chomps as I was walking out the door to drive to the park.  I got there, walked to the trail, and found a place near the path to stash my extra water bottle.  I used the walk to the trail as my warm up, so I started running at the mile post. 
 
I knew from the first steps that it was going to be a good run.  I started out slow.  My goal was to finish the mileage, not to break a time goal.  The running intervals felt good.  I wasn't huffing and puffing (much).  I could talk to people if I needed to.  I just ran....and ran....and ran. 
 
 
Tumblr_m9n56nM9Oy1qf1avqo1_500
 
 
There were a lot of people out running.  Some of them were FAST.  Some of them ran past me (in the opposite direction) twice during my loop.  But, after a loop or 2, I didn't see them any more.  I just kept on going.  They were running fast, but I was running far.
 
After 3 laps (4.5 miles), I stopped to refill my water bottle and then turned around and ran the loop in the opposite direction.  The opposite direction was HARD.  It was windy going the other direction.  It was cold going the other direction.  But, I finished those 3 laps too.  For my last mile, I turned around again and went the way that I like better. 
 
 Pinned Image
 
Everything felt great until about 8 miles into the run.  Then my legs started to hurt.  I was running at about the same speed that I was walking.  The minute walking interval seemed to keep getting shorter.  But, the amazing thing is that the 2:30 running interval wasn't hard.  I didn't look at my watch.  I didn't will it to beep.  I just ran.  When it was time to walk, I walked.  I talked to myself a lot for the last two miles.  I would tell myself that I only had to go another lap and a mile and then counted down from then.  I talked myself through the last mile.  I cheered myself on.  I told myself to keep going. 
 
When I had a 1/2 mile left, I came across an older couple who was enjoying the day together.  The man was taking pictures of the woman.  When I caught up to them, I offered to take their picture.  I told them that I would be happy to so I didn't have to run any more.  I didn't really mean that.  I was glad to stop and take their picture.  I maybe lost 30 seconds doing that for them.  But, it made me happy to help.
Pinned Image
 
I was so happy to see the mile marker.  There is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment.  I did something today that I have never, ever done before.  I ran in the double digits today.  I had another long run that felt great.  I only have 3.1 miles left to get to 13.1.  I did it.  I got a little teary when I finished.  I called my husband to tell me that I did it (and to tell him that I still had to walk a half mile to get to the car.....darn 1.5 mile loop!)
 
After I picked up my water bottle and started back toward the car, the older couple had caught up with me.  The woman offered to take my picture.  (I declined.....I looked like a hot mess.  I didn't put my hair up for a finish line picture, I put it up for a 10 mile run.)  We got to talking and they asked my how far I had gone today.  I told them ten miles.  They were impressed.  That made me happy too.  I thanked them and wished them a good afternoon.  Then I headed home to my family. 
 
Pinned Image
 
I'm a little sore now.  Not really, really sore....but a little sore.  It's not as bad as it has been after shorter runs.  It's hard to go up and down the steps.  It's a good hurt.   It's the hurt of accomplishment.
 
Today's Stats:
10 miles in 2:19:10  (13.9 minute miles)
10.2 miles in 2:19:10  (13.6 minute miles)**
**Not completely sure how far I went......
 
I took 1.5 mile splits:
Lap 1 - 19.52
Lap 2 - 20.44
Lap 3 - 20.34
Lap 4 - 21.28
Lap 5 - 21.01
Lap 6 - 20.53
Last mile - 14.36
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Great pics with this post. Next time you'll say, "I ONLY have to run ten."

    ReplyDelete