Thursday, November 22, 2012

91 Days Left

Pinned Image
I am convinced that runners are not right.  Today is Thanksgiving.  It's a day for eating.  It's a day for It's a day for watching football.  It's a day for scanning the Black Friday ads to plan your Black Friday shopping.  If you don't have to get up and put a turkey in the oven, it's a day for sleeping in.  It's a day for reflecting on all that we have to be thankful for in our lives.
So, what did I do this morning?  I ran 6.2 miles.  I even paid to do it.  Who runs a 10K on Thanksgiving?  2413 people.  That's who wakes up and runs 6.2 miles on Thanksgiving morning.   2413 crazy people.
This race had a bit of a later start than most races. It started at 9:00.    We got to sleep in a bit.  This was a good thing because we spent much of the evening at the ER with the baby.  A dose of steroids for croup and we were home in bed by 1:15am.  I got up at 6:30 to have my bagel and banana and to take a peek at the Black Friday ads before I headed out.  (A girl has to have her priorities in order.)  I drove to Mt. Trashmore in Virginia Beach to meet up with the Moms Run This Town ladies for an 8:00 picture.   I met two new ladies at this race and saw someone that I had met at the Wicked 10K.  It's really comforting to go to a race with 2400 people and see a friendly and familiar face.  I also caught up with my friend Susan.  She waited in the bathroom line with me for a bit before scampering off to the fast person starting line.
Anyway, it was a chilly start to the morning, but not chilly enough to wear cold weather clothes, so I froze for a bit before the race started. I was wearing a short sleeved shirt, long tights, and a cute running skirt.  I was also rocking a turkey hat.  If I'm going to be there, I'm going to be festive.   It was sunny and a little bit breezy, but a refreshing breeze instead of the hurricane force winds of the Wicked.  At a few minutes before 9, we made our way to the starting line.  I found my predicted finishing time (actually, I picked my preferred finishing time, but that is neither here nor there) and got ready. 
The gun went off and the fast people started.  2 minutes later, I got to the starting line.  I was DETERMINED to finish in a respectable time so I could submit to Disney.  I knew the time I needed to get (1:14) and was going to do it or die trying.  There was a bit of a traffic jam for the first half mile and I found myself weaving to get around people.  (Read that again.  I'll wait.  It said that I was getting AROUND people....that means PASSING!  I was running faster than other people!!)  I ran for the first 5 minutes without stopping to walk.  After about 5 minutes, I felt comfortable starting my intervals without irritating the people running behind and around me.  We had a good 3 miles of neighborhood running.  It was pretty boring.  There were a few people out, but not too many.  Right at mile 4, we entered Mt. Trashmore Park.  It's a big loop with a lake and an old landfill made into a mountain in the middle.  I was chasing a couple that was running slow, but always running.  I would pass them on my 2:30 running intervals and then they would pass me during my 1 minute walking interval.  I kept up with them for a good 3 miles, then they sped up and I slowed down.
My hat was hot.  I didn't like it.  I kept saying that I was going to take it off at the next walking interval.  I never did it.  I kept running with the stupid thing on.  Now I know.

I also had some snot issues.  I felt fine when I got to the race, but once we got going, my nose got going too. I'm going to have to plan for that happening.  Snot bubbles are NOT festive.  Maybe Santa will bring me a Handana to keep my nose (and my shirt) snot free.
Back to the matter at hand....I got tired at about mile 4.  I probably should have had some Gu Chomps to get be through the last 2 miles, but I didn't.  Now I know. 
My fast friend Susan met me at about mile 5.5 and ran the rest of the way with me.  She told me about her fast person problems while we ran.  Those made me laugh and got us to the finish.  I slowed down for the last .2 miles.  An older gentleman passed me.  He told me to pick it up.  He told me that I had been in front of him for the entire race and that he better not beat me.  I found a little energy after that.  I caught him and finished right in front of him.  He didn't care.  He said that I helped him finish the race. 
I crossed the finish line in 1:16:27 (or something).  I knew that it took me about 2 minutes to get to the finish.  My watch said 1:14:42.  Official time - 1:14:02.  I did it!!!  I needed to finish in 1:14 to predict at 2:45 half marathon and I ROCKED it!!!  I finished 141 in my age group, out of 172 people.  I finished faster than 260 other people.  Looking back on my race goals, I met every single one.  I crossed the finish line.  I wasn't last.  I met my time goal!
I got some water and a a Krispy Kreme donut (just one....don't hate) and went home to spend Thanksgiving with my family.  Runners are crazy, but it's a good crazy.  I have never FELT this good after a long run.  No aches, no pains, no swelling. 
Next up:  9.5 miles on Saturday!
Today's Stats:
6.2 miles in 1:14:02 (11.9 minute miles....for 6 miles!)
Mile 1:  11.10
Mile 2:  11.42
Mile 3:  11.57
Mile 4:  12.0
Mile 5:  12.23
Mile 6:  12.34
.2:            2.51
(Yeah, I slowed down every mile, but I finished in 1;14!!))

1 comment:

  1. Excellent run, Jessica. I would have loved to see a picture of you in the turkey hat :)

    ReplyDelete