Thursday, November 1, 2012

112 Days Left

Pinned Image
 

Something happened today.  Today, I was at peace with my run.  I actually enjoyed it.  I stopped because my husband started to wonder if I was ever coming back, not because I was tired or because I was finished.  I could have kept going.  Nobody is more surprised at this than me!
 
It was a perfect day for a run.  It was cool and partly cloudy.  Just perfect for a short sleeved shirt and long pants.  I waited until after lunch when the big boys were playing outside, the baby was working, and the husband was piddling around in the garage.  I had a pretty big lunch, so I put on my shoes not quite sure how things were going to go. I decided to stay in the neighborhood and planned for 3 laps.   As I got to the end of the warm up walk, things felt so good I decided to try a new interval today.  I set my watch for 2:30/1 intervals and I took off. 
 
The running gods were smiling on me today.  The 2:30 passed quickly.  I didn't even look at my watch.  I just ran.  I wasn't short of breath and my legs didn't hurt.  When the walking intervals came, I caught my breath quickly and felt like I was walking at a pretty good pace.   I passed my house the first time and decided to do the next lap in the opposite direction.  I ended up doing two laps "backwards" and then added a fourth lap in the usual direction because it felt good. 
 
4 laps in the neighborhood!  I didn't even think about my pace until I got back home.  I looked at my watch and it seemed like a decent time.  I know my typical finishing time for 3 laps, so I wasn't quite sure what "normal" looked like for 4 laps.  My husband did some quick calculations for me.  TODAY'S TIME WAS AWESOME!!  I almost did a happy dance in the middle of the street.  I broke a 12 minute mile.  I was fast today.  I was fast and it felt good.  I could have kept going and it still would have felt good.
 
Runs like today's run make me look forward to the next one.  Runs like this make me feel like I can really do this half marathon thing!  I'm almost disappointed that I ONLY have to run 3 miles for my "long" run this weekend.
 
Today's Stats:
3.44 miles in 40.27  (11.7 minute mile...yep, that says 11.7!!!)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment