Tuesday, October 30, 2012

114 Days Left

Pinned Image
 

After spending 3 days in the house with my family while Hurricane Sandy blew outside, I was determined to run today.  I knew that it wasn't going to be fast and I knew that it wasn't going to be far, but I was going to do it.  I got up and put on my running clothes to take the baby to the Little Gym.  Since hubby had the big boys who were home from school for yet another day, my plan was to basically run home.  As we got to the end of the class, I looked out to see it raining....again. 
 
Well, I was already dressed and I learned at the Neptune Festival 8K that contrary to popular belief, I will not melt in the rain.  I learned at the Wicked 10K this weekend that it will take quite a bit for me to blow away, so I got out of the car and started running.
 
I have been eyeballing an overpass about a mile from my house as a prime place for some hill training.  (You see, there is a pretty nasty man made hill in Florida.  Disney thought it would be a fun joke to put this hill at mile 11 or something equally as evil.  Since I can't get up my driveway after a 5 mile run, I am very concerned about getting up an exit ramp at mile 11.  To overcome this problem, I am going to find some hills around my sea level house and start adding them to the end of my long runs and working them into my short runs.)  Anyway, I could come out of the back of the shopping center where we were and pick up the sidewalk that would take me up and over the mini mountain.
 
Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your perspective), I was running into the wind on the way out, so on the way back, the wind and rain were at my back instead of smacking me in the face.)  Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your perspective), I hit the overpass during my walking interval both times.  That made the first attempt at the mini mountain pretty easy.  I walked up and ran down.  Luckily, the rain did finally stop. 
 
All in all, it was a pretty good run.  I'm glad I got out there and did it, even with the rain.
 
Today's Stats:
2.66 miles in 32:29.  (12.12 minute miles)
 
I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, so I'll throw one in every so often.....
 
Fast People Problems
  • You never get to see the amazing sight of hundreds (or thousands) of heads bobbing when the pack takes off at the starting gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment