Sunday, October 14, 2012

130 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

Pinned Image
 
Two of my Newport Princess friends ran a half marathon this morning.  Two others went to cheer them on.  I am not in Newport.  I am in Virginia.  After giving my Facebook encouragement, I went for a run.  I figured since I couldn't be there to run with them or to cheer for them, I would run at the same time.  You know, for solidarity.
 
Here's the funny part.  They ran 13.1 miles this morning.  I only had to run 3.5.  (Only....remember when 3 miles was a long way?)  My training plan has started a taper for the 10K race that I am running in 2 weeks.  But, either way, we ran "together".  I was thinking of them and they were thinking about 13.1. 
 
It was a bit nippy this morning.  I think it was 47 degrees when I left my house this morning.  I was excited to wear my new long sleeved black tech shirt.  It has cool finger holes.  They are supposed to keep the sleeves down.  I used them to keep my hands warm.  After about a mile and a half, I started to get a little roasty in my cool new shirt.  I wished I had picked a cool short sleeved shirt.  Now I know. 
 
Anyway, it was great morning for a run.  There was no traffic to speak of.  There were a few cyclists on the roads, but not much else.   
 
Here's the thing about running.  It's pretty much a mental sport.  I'm learning that my body will do what I ask it to do.  It might grumble and try to fight back, but it will do it.  I know that my legs and my lungs will take me at least 7 miles.  My brain made 3.5 harder than it needed to be. 
 
I didn't love it today.  It wasn't hard....my legs didn't hurt.  My breathing was pretty good.  My head was up and not looking at all of the cracks on the sidewalk.  My heart just wasn't in it today.  My run today was because that's what was on the calendar, not because I really wanted to get out of my warm bed to do it. 
 
Today's stats:
3.52 miles in 43.32 (12.3 minute miles)
 
By the way, my friends ROCKED the Newport Half Marathon this morning. The "official" results have not been published as of blog press time, but their unofficial results show that they were completely AWESOME! Once Princess finished in about 2:47 and the other finished a bit faster than that. AMAZING!! I want to be like them when I grow up. I can't wait to see them in Florida. Hopefully they will grace my corral with their awesomeness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment