Saturday, October 6, 2012

138 Days Until the Disney Princess Half Marathon

RunnerGirl

Today's long run was 7 miles.  I was excited.  I got up just before my alarm, put on my awesome new glow in the dark running capris and my road cone orange shirt.  I prepped my water and had my breakfast.  Then I made sure that I had my GU Chomps and off I went.  My run took me back to the fancy neighborhood down the street.  The extra distance was at the end when I had to run all the way home.  I figured that if I could get through the neighborhood with no problems, then I could get home. 

I was wrong.

Maybe taking off this week was a bad idea.  Maybe the road is really crowned and I need to find somewhere else to run.  Either way, my legs gave up on me.  The first 2 miles felt good.  I was a little nervous using my headphones on the road when the sun hadn't completely decided to wake up yet.  So, the beginning of the run was dark-ish and quiet except for the birds singing and the acorns dropping from the trees.  I ran on the road since there was no traffic until I got to the neighborhood.  Everything was going well.  I got to the safety of the rich neighborhood and put in my headphones.  I felt good.  Then, all of a sudden, I felt a soreness starting in my groin muscles.  I lovingly call those my "pick your fat leg up" muscles because when it starts to hurt, forward motion becomes a little harder.  At first it was when I had to start running again after my walking intervals.  Then it was for the whole running interval.  Then it was pretty much all of the time.   I slowed down a few times to try and stretch it out, but the further I went, the more uncomfortable it was.  I read in one of the running books that if something doesn't change how you are running, then keep going.  I wasn't changing anything to run, so I pushed through it.  For 5 miles.  It was a long 5 miles.  I talked to myself a lot.  I cheered myself to the next mailbox or light pole or corner.  I congratulated myself when I made it.  And, I did make it.  I had to slow down a lot to keep going, but I kept going.

Now that I am home, showered, and done, my left groin muscle still hurts a little.  It's been stretched and rested, but it is still sore.  My right knee, which usually swells after a long run, is a little sore too.  But, I ran 7 miles today.  I did it and I feel good.  I am looking forward to the next time I get to do it to see how I can do it better.

Today's Stats:
7.09 miles in 1:35:14 (13.4 minute mile)

According to the course map, that puts me through the Magic Kingdom (and the castle!) and almost to the Grand Floridian!

No comments:

Post a Comment