Monday, November 12, 2012

101 Days Left

Pinned Image
 
 
After the magical run on Saturday, every single step today was work.  I can't even begin to pinpoint why.  But, I kept going.  We went to the zoo this morning for family fun day.  We had a not so good for you, but completely delicious and a zoo tradition lunch.  We rested while the baby napped and then we went out to a pretty popular trail.  The boys played on the playground with Daddy while I took two laps around the lake.  The trail is a mile and a half marked trail, with markers every quarter mile.  It was a hard packed trail instead of the concrete or asphalt that I am used to running on. It was covered in leaves in most places, but not to the point where the leaves were slippery or a hindrance to the run.  It was a beautiful trail.  The leaves have turned brilliant colors - red, golden yellow, orange - in the past few weeks.  The sun was shining across the lake onto the trees.  I got to see my beautiful children and handsome husband when I came around the lake to start my second lap.  There were tons of people walking, running, skipping, sitting, and walking their dogs on this gorgeous fall afternoon. 
 
But, for some reason, things didn't click today.  The second lap was much slower than the first.  I just don't know.  Whatever happened, I finished my 3 (and a little bit....probably .1) miles.  I liked the location.  I am looking forward to running there again. 
 
I guess some runs are just like this.  They can't all be great.  The hard runs are what make the good ones even better.  I would rather have a short run be the hard one instead of the long one.  It's much easier to keep going when you know you will be done after 3 miles than to keep going when you know that you have to keep going for 7 or 8 or 10 or 13.1.
 
Today's Stats:
3.1 miles in 37.59 (12.1 minute mile)

1 comment:

  1. Those runs are tough to swallow, especially coming off such a fantastic previous run. But like you said, not all runs will be great and the bad ones make you appreciate the good ones! You will get a bad long run and when that happens don't beat yourself up, it will get better and you will too!

    ReplyDelete