Tuesday, September 25, 2012

149 Days Left

 I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a stuffy nose.  It's been going around my house.  I guess it's my turn.  I wanted to stay in bed.  It was dark and cool and I felt icky.  I almost did.  Then I remembered that I registered for a race on Saturday morning.  A real, timed race.  (It's the Neptune Festival 8K....an 8K!)  I figured that it would be a bad idea to skip a run on a race week so I got up and I got dressed. 

I decided to stay in the neighborhood in case I wimped out and stopped early.  The first run of the week is a short run.  My goal was 3 laps around my neighborhood (2.6 miles) with the option to stop after 2 if I was miserable.  (I have that option when I stay close to home.  If I run out of the neighborhood, I don't have a choice....I have to get home.  I sort of like that option more.  It takes away the ability to stop.)

Anyway, once I got going, I felt good.  It was cool to almost chilly this morning.  I started in a long sleeved running jacket which I took off after a lap and a half and then dropped in the driveway when I got back there.  My hands were cold for most of the run.  I am going to have to find some gloves.  I finished my 3 laps and a little bit since I started my warm up walk at the bus stop and then walked home with my husband and baby and then walked back to the corner. 

I had a realization this morning.  When I first started this training adventure, my daily runs were just over 2 miles.  I was running about a minute and walking a minute.  It was taking me 30 minute to do those runs.  Now my shortest run of the week is over 2.5 miles   I am running 2 minutes and walking a minute.  My short runs take 30 - 45 minutes.  I have long runs that are really long.  It doesn't always seem like I am making progress.  But, when I look back at where I started, I've come a long way.  It's certainly isn't getting easier, but I am obviously getting better. 

Today's stats:
2.6 miles in 32.25 minutes  (12.4 minute miles)

1 comment: